What is the Ainu Association of Hokkaido?
The Ainu Association of Hokkaido (incorporated) (hereafter "the Association") is an organization made up of Ainu who live in Hokkaido, which aims to "work to improve the social status of Ainu people and to develop, transmit and preserve Ainu culture in order to establish the dignity of the Ainu people" .
- Activities for the improvement of the social status of Ainu people
- The provision of loans
- Activities to establish jobs and promote education
- Activities for the preservation, transmission and development of our ethnic culture
- Interaction and exchange of information with various other indigenous peoples
- Management and operation of the Hokkaido Ainu Center (by commission from the Hokkaido government)
- Surveys, research and the collection of information
- Other activities as necessary for the realisation of the Association' s aims.
History of Establishment
|24 February 1946||Inaugural General Meeting establishing the Association.|
|13 March 1946||Legal incorporation as the Hokkaido Ainu Association approved|
|13 April 1961||Change of (Japanese) name to Hokkaido Utari Association.|
|1 April 2009||Change of (Japanese) name to Hokkaido Ainu Association.|
* The word "Ainu" in Ainu language means "human" as compared to "kamui" (Gods), and is also the name of the Ainu as an ethnic group. The word "utari" means "brethren" or "compatriot" .
Structure of the Association
List of Directors and Auditors of the Association
Term : May 2014 to May 2016 (As of 17 May 2015)
|Executive Director||Tadashi Kato||Shiraoi|
|Vice Executive Director||Kazushi Abe||Sapporo|
|Managing Director||Kazuaki Kaizawa|